Whitecraigs pay the penalty

Scotland Falkirk RFC v Whitecraigs 06/09/2014 Camelon  Cala Park''''Pic by Alan Murray/ www.alanmurrayphotography.co.uk
Scotland Falkirk RFC v Whitecraigs 06/09/2014 Camelon Cala Park''''Pic by Alan Murray/ www.alanmurrayphotography.co.uk
Share this article

‘Getting out of jail’ is a time-honoured phrase,but if truth be told that was exactly the case as Falkirk converted a very,very late penalty conversion against a gallant Whitecraigs side,who led by 24-23 with only five minutes of regulation time left,in their first league match of the new season at Sunnyside last weekend.

Whitecraigs’ Inside- Centre Ryan Moffat just narrowly missed an early penalty conversion before Falkirk opened up their account for the afternoon from a well practiced manoeuvre.

However Ryan Moffat converted a penalty for ‘Craigs five minutes later, but Penman replied in kind when he went on to slot over two back-to-back penalties in the 23rd and 27th minutes respectively to stretch Falkirk’s lead to 13-3.

A neat build-up from ‘Craigs from just inside Falkirk’s half saw Right-Winger Charlie Winton break clear away for a very soft try as far as Falkirk were concerned,with Moffat presently adding the conversion.

The visitors then lost the services of their No.8 Stevie Whittet for ten minutes when he was yellow carded in the 38th minute.

Penman banged over another penalty conversion within five minutes of the restart, and following a lengthy period of concerted pressure Matt Larsen took possession from a five metre rolling maul and crashed over for the try,with Penman yet again adding the conversion.

Nevertheless the Glasgow side retaliated within three minutes when they surged into Falkirk’s 22 metre area,and slick handling by the backs enabled Left-Winger Louis Senter to scamper over for ‘Craigs second try.

With Falkirk clearly rocked ‘Craigs went up a gear got the upper hand with a series of short penalties,which finally bore fruit when Stand-Off Ally Stevenson barged over under Falkirk’s uprights for the touchdown in the 75th minute.

Moffat converted both tries to put his side up by 24-23,and if things could not get worse for Falkirk Matt Larsen was then yellow carded.

However since there had been at least two or three lengthy injuries throughout the half there was a fair bit of injury time to play,and following one of the most tense of endings imaginable Falkirk were awarded a penalty with literally seconds left.

With nerves of steel Penman steadied himself before sending the ball sailing 30 metres and bisecting the uprights.