Weekend rugby roundup

Share this article

THE TRIO of local clubs got off to far from the perfect start to the second half of the league season.

Craigs fell to Dunfermline while Cartha lost to Greenock Wanderers, a side they defeated 62-12 on opening day.

However, GHA preserved some dignity for the southside three, beating Dalziel 31-19.
Craigs got off to the best of starts with Nicky Blamire charging down a kick on the opposition 22 metre line and Graeme Adam making the touchdown, which Ryan Moffat converted.

These were to be the West Lodge side’s only points of the afternoon. Dunfermline however were ahead by the 40 minute mark, after Craigs conceded three penalties. 
Dunfermline’s hooker scored a try in the left hand corner after poor man to man marking left him on his own to make the score 14-7 after the break.

The home side had a pair of players sent to the sinbin but Craigs could not take advantage, and the score remained the same.

GHA are now only three points behind league leaders Cartha after a 31-19 win against Motherwell side Dalziel. 
Against the run of play, GHA opened their account when Jamie Auld flopped on the ball as the scrum trundled over the Dalziel try line. An Andy Henderson score put GHA in the driving seat but poor defensive work allowed Dalziel to score twice before the interval to leave the half time score at 14-12 in GHA’s favour. 
A John Brogan penalty and try after the grape put GHA back in the driving street but Dalziel scored another try. Ryan Jenkins got the final word with a try of his own from just inside the Dalziel half. 
Cartha – missing six first team regulars – lost 32-25 to Greenock.

Greenock scored a penalty to open their account before Michael Plich scored for QP. Andi Black converted and followed soon after with a penalty to bring the score to 10-3 to Cartha after 17 minutes.

The home side scored two tries – one converted, one not - to give themselves a five point lead before a converted Iain Cook try and an Andi black penalty put Cartha back in front.

A penalty 17 minutes into the second period, followed by a converted try put Greenock back into the lead, (25-20). Andi Black brought Cartha within two points but that was followed by a Dalziel try.

Johnny Manning got the last word with a score wide left, but it wasn’t enough to give the Dumbreck boys the win.