“We have been robbed”

editorial image
Share this article

WHITECRAIGS rugby club are seeking legal advice following their relegation from premier two.

Whitecraigs did not make it in to the top four of premier C after an under-strength Selkirk side lost 13-0 to Hillhead Jordanhill on Sunday.

This meant the westend side were promoted, not Whitecraigs, after Hills were one point ahead in the table, in fourth spot.

The initial fixture between Selkirk and Hillhead Jordanhill was postponed, despite the Hughenden side being able to host second XV fixtures on the same day.

The championship committee were deducting two points — a decision which would have meant another year in premier rugby for Craigs — however, the appeals committee approved Hill-Jills appeal.

Devastated Whitecraigs coach Jim Henderson told ExtraSport: “We are not going to give in. There’s something not right — how could this decision be overturned?

“The hearing was held in private and the club have asked for a copy of all transcripts. We can only hope this will be an open and transparent process.

“This decision will have a huge bearing on the coach and players we are able to attract.

“The players are raging. They acknowledge when they lose out to good teams — but this is not fair, logical or equitable. We have been robbed”.

Sources from Hillhead Jordanhill rugby club refused to comment on the decision.

Craigs are awaiting further feedback from the Scottish rugby union.

Sheriff Bill Dunlop completed his full written determination of the appeal yesterday with Hillhead Jordanhill and Selkirk receiving it last night.

The decision thereafter will be made available to Whitecraigs, with further news appearing on the SRU’s own website and www.glasgowsouthsideextra.co.uk.

The club are now set to play alongside Cartha and GHA in the West of Scotland’s top regional league.

Braidholm side GHA also faced disappointment at the weekend, losing 23-8 away to Howe of Fife — a result which handed the title to Howe.

GHA, who face the Fifers yet again on Saturday (KO 3PM at Braidholm), could have potentially lifted the title with two wins.

An early try from Jamie Pinder gave the Giffnock side hope but the wheels came off their title challenge when back row men Pinder and Cassie were sent to the sinbin early in the second half.

Despite solid defence with 13 men, it was after the pair returned that GHA conceded two tries in two minutes.

GHA tried in desperation to fight back but it wasn’t enough and Howe were crowned champions.