Turning the corner

Pollok claimed only their second home league win of 2011 as they eased past Cumnock by three goals to two at Newlandsfield Park on Saturday.

Stephen Docherty was in charge of team matters, and his side made a fast start, with Paul McQuilken firing narrowly over after just twenty seconds following a Brian McGinty knock-down.

McGinty then hooked a shot over the bar one minute later, but against the run of play, the Ayrshire side opened the scoring after eight minutes.

Referee Martin McCarthy ruled McQuilken used an arm to block Chris McKnight’s header, and Graham Wilson stepped up to net the resultant penalty.

‘Lok drew level in the 25th minute when Kevin Bradley flighted over a terrific cross from the right and Iain Diack rose above his two markers to head home.

Pollok moved in front after 36 minutes when Stephen Swift outjumped everyone else to plant the ball beyond Kennedy from a Mark Crilly free-kick.

Crilly then embarked upon a solo run that ended with a weak strike that Kennedy gathered easily, but the ‘keeper was unable to stop Pollok moving 3-1 ahead two minutes before the interval.

He parried a Bradley effort but the ball fell to Paul McQuilken to sweep home a low finish.

Cumnock opened the second half on the front foot, with Chic Connolly flashing a dangerous ball across the face of the ‘Lok goal but not finding any takers.

‘Lok almost added a fourth when Crilly’s free-kick cleared the crossbar by inches, and home hearts were in mouths as Cumnock set up a nervy finish with an 88th minute goal.

Tyler showed terrific skill to evade his marker on the left and cut the ball back to Chris McKnight at the edge of the penalty area, and he made no mistake with a precise low drive.

‘Nock could have snatched an equaliser in injury time when McMenamin’s free-kick was flicked on by Willie Howie, but Graeme McLaren was steered the ball away for a corner kick that the visitors couldn’t capitalise upon.

Next up for Pollok is a 380-mile round trip to Burghead Thistle in round two of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup, with kick-off at Forest Park set for 2.30pm.

Meanwhile, Queen’s Park progressed in the Scots Cup after their round two 3-0 away win against Huntly.

Jamie Longworth, Sean Burns and Craig Smith were the scorers.

On Saturday, the Spiders are back in league action when they visit Stranraer.