Spiders stroll to victory

Share this article

GLASGOW City held Chelsea to a goal-less draw on English turf on Sunday.

Utilising three, 30-minute periods meant each member of the Scots squad was in action for at least 60 minutes and unlucky not to take the lead in the opening session.

Captain Sue Lappin went closest in the opening 10 minutes. But it was just before the first break, Chelsea had their initial real effort when Clare Gemmell fouled at the edge of the City box, but her team mates cleared the free kick.

The hosts then had another chance when they broke in from the left, but shot wide of Claire Johnstone in City’s goal.

Right on the whistle Mitchell had another good shot, but the Chelsea keeper held on well.

Just two minutes into the second period Chelsea cleared a City corner to the edge of their box and City debutant Christie Murray’s superb side-on half volley flew past the keeper but was acrobatically cleared by a Chelsea defender.

The next chance fell to the home side when a cross came in from the right, but Corsie put pressure on the striker who fired wide.

Murray again was desperately unlucky not to open her account as Kat Lindner won the ball, played in Murray, who beat the full back, but her curled left-foot shot was saved.

Jo Love next tested the Chelsea stopper but her powered drive from distance was well saved again.

Then City and Scotland midfielder L:eanne Ross stole the ball from the Chelsea centre half. But her effort to try and chip the keeper was too low.

Chelsea’s next bid to break the deadlock shot wide of City’s goal.

Midway through the final 30 minutes Jane Ross raced on to a through ball and did well to get there before the keeper, but with the goal gaping, and a difficult angle she shot wide.

Just before the final whistle, City almost won the match.

Lisa Evans had a shot saved and Ruesha Littlejohn picked up the rebound. Littlejohn passed to Jane Ross, but as her effort beat the keeper it was cleared off the line by a defender.