Spiders do the bookies proud and shock Clyde

Clyde v Queens Peak 15/08/1015 McKernon scores no 1 for Queens
Clyde v Queens Peak 15/08/1015 McKernon scores no 1 for Queens

Clyde’s wasted first half chances came back to haunt them in the second as Queen’s Park pulled themselves together to score twice.

Anybody who has ever wondered why bookies drive expensive cars and punters walk home skint should have been at the last two Queen’s Park games.

Last Saturday, Queen’s battered Annan for a large part of the 90 minutes and ended up on the wrong end of a 1-0 scoreline. On this afternoon, the Spiders could have been 2-0 down before the crowd took their seats as Clyde flew out of the blocks, but ended up 2-0 winners … go figure that out.

The Bully Wee were on top throughout the entire first half but failed to make the most of multiple chances allowing Gus MacPherson’s side the opportunity to secure the three points in a stronger second half showing.

And that’s precisely what they did.

With Clyde on the back foot from the start of the second period, Anthony Ralston laid the ball on for Jamie McKernon to lash the ball in past Clyde keeper John Gibson in the 52nd minute.

Gibson should have done better again for the second goal when Paul Woods met a Joseph Bradley cross and lashed the ball into the net.

It was a completely different Clyde that started the game with the visitors barely having a sniff of goal for the full 45 minutes.

A Chris Mitchell corner two minutes in was cleared by the Queen’s Park defence before an Archie Campbell cross was blocked by Vincent Berry. Minutes later Chris Smith could have opened the scoring but his header was cleared off the line by Woods.

Sean Higgins had probably the best chance of the half but his shot from the edge of the 18-yard box went just past the post.

Queen’s Park’s only real chance of the half came 17 minutes in but William Mortimer’s shot was palmed clear by Gibson.

Clyde had further strong chances in the half as a Sean Higgins shot from almost 30 yards just skimmed over the crossbar and a David Marsh header bounced past the left post.

But in a disappointing second half for the home side, Queen’s Park took the lead 52 minutes in when Jamie McKernon fired the ball through the Clyde defence from 25 yards and straight past Gibson into the bottom right corner of the net. In the 65th minute Queen’s Park made it 2-0 when Bradley crossed to Woods who fired in from inside the box.