Second best

editorial image

Two of the three top-level southside cricket clubs won their second-round matches in the Scottish Cup last Saturday. But the most thrilling game of the day featured a fantastic last-over victory against the odds by Clydesdale’s second string team at Titwood.

Following their comprehensive opening-day win the previous week, Tim Hart’s side were up against a much tougher opposition as they welcomed St Michael’s to the Pollokshields ground.

Batting first, the Dumfries side posted a challenging total of more than 200 from their 40 overs. But there was an explosive start to the Titwood innings as Aran Krishna got into his stride with two consecutive sixes to take his total to 44.

Then, attempting another maximum to reach a half-century, Krishna came a cropper, and the batsmen who followed him struggled to maintain the required run-rate.

The Clydesdale youngsters were heading for defeat as the eighth wicket fell. But opening bowler Johnny McKay had other ideas.

With 15 still required off the final over, Jatinder Berman stole a single off the first ball, allowing McKay to open his shoulders. A six, a four and two twos were sufficient - and there was even a ball to spare.

Meanwhile in Edinburgh, Clydesdale’s first team worked hard against SMRH, in their first competitive game of the season.

They were led from the front by new captain Majid Haq. First, the international all-rounder captured three wickets from his 10 overs. Then he top-scored with 44 not out as Clydesdale went to the top of the initial round-robin group table with victory by four wickets.

Weirs travelled to famous Freuchie for their Scottish Cup match, having lost their first game the previous week. This time, the Albert Park side racked up 193, led by a fine half-century from Kumar Parakala, well supported by internationalist Moneeb Iqbal (44) and Irfan Shah (42).

Shah then destroyed the home team’s upper order with a match-winning 4-15, allowing leg-spinner Iqbal to complete the job with a haul of 3-13 to seal victory by 91 runs.

By comparison, Poloc’s home game against Stoneywood-Dyce was a miserable affair. Only one batsman reached double figures in Poloc’s paltry innings of 50 all out in less than 20 overs. And the visitors from Aberdeen raced to the target in the ninth over, the entire game lasting less than two hours.