QP finish strongly

editorial image

A PAIR of victories and a hatful of goals have buoyed Queen’s Park ahead of this weekend’s massive clash with league leaders Alloa.

The Spiders hit the net seven times while brushing aside recent opponents Berwick Rangers and Clyde.

On Saturday, strikes from James Brough, Martin McBride and Michael Daly, as well as a Berwick own goal, ensured Queen’s left Shielfield Park with three points in a 4-1 win.

Tuesday night saw Gardner Speirs’ men accomplish a 3-0 derby triumph against Clyde.

Hampden’s 658 crowd only had to wait seven minutes for Queen’s to take the lead.

McBride’s clever pass sent Owen Ronald scampering down the right-hand side of Clyde’s penalty box, and his pinpoint cutback was confidently despatched by Jamie Longworth — the striker’s 16th league goal of the season.

Three minutes later Queen’s executed the exact same move to double their lead.

This time Longworth latched onto Ronald’s well-weighted through ball, crossing low for Ian Watt to knock past visiting goalkeeper Nick Feely.

The Bully Wee looked vulnerable and on 13 minutes the contest could have been over.

Watt showed hunger in collecting Brough’s clearing header, before surging through Clyde’s defence with ease. The winger opted to square for Longworth, but over-hit the pass.

In the first half Clyde offered little in attack, but looked slightly livelier after the break.

On 55 minutes, Jamie Pollock, on loan from Motherwell, swung in a free-kick which was headed onto Neil Parry’s post by midfielder John Neil.

Despite an excellent performance from Spiders’ number 6 David Anderson, the home side were still struggling to recreate the threatening tempo shown in the opening ten minutes.

Pollock kept Parry on his toes on 82 minutes as he whistled a left-footed effort by the ‘keeper’s post, much to the dismay of Clyde’s management team of Jim Duffy and Chic Charnley.

With the visitors pressing, Queen’s grabbed their third goal on 89 minutes.

Sub Tony Quinn laid the ball off to McBride, who had time to measure up before firing a brilliant shot past Feely from the edge of the box.

Gardner Speirs said: “The first two goals were excellent but then we dropped our levels a wee bit.

“It wasn’t until we got the third goal right at the death that we could relax”.

Jim Duffy said: “If you’re off the pace you get given the run-around and, particularly in the first 25 minutes, that was the case for us tonight”.

Second placed Queen’s go into Saturday’s game at Recreation Park having failed to take any points off Alloa in their three previous meetings this season, but a win would take them to six points behind the Wasps.