Poor show from Lok

Carlo Monti
Carlo Monti

With only two league games left to play Pollok remain in the relegation mire after a 1-0 loss to Auchinleck Talbot on Saturday.

‘Lok made the worst possible start, falling behind in the sixth minute.

Bryan Young’s corner found James Latta unmarked at the edge of the penalty area, and his powerful shot was beaten away by Morrison.

Bryan Slavin’s follow-up was blocked, but the loose ball fell to a Talbot man as Keir Milliken smashed home the opener.

Slavin had a trio of opportunities, sending the ball over twice and being denied by Morrison once.

At the other end Hunter and Carlo Monti combined to set up Nichol for an attempt at goal, but he sliced wide from 20 yards.

There was a scare for ‘Lok in the 24th minute when a Gordon Pope cross initiated a frantic goalmouth scramble that ended with the ball spinning inches wide.

Pope then fired a 35-yard free-kick towards the target, but Morrison made a low save.

Brian McGarrity wasn’t called into action until the 32nd minute when he easily gathered a Nichol trundler.

Milliken and Slavin then linked up again as the visitors broke quickly, with the latter pulling a shot wide from the edge of the box.

After the break, Talbot threatened first when an unmarked Young hit the outside of the post with a 51st minute header.

Monti then fired narrowly wide from 22 yards out before a Milliken effort was kicked away by Morrison.

After 65 minutes, McGarrity spilled a Monti throw-in, but was saved by his defence when Steven McGregor’s drive was blocked.

McMahon then stopped a Slavin attempt before Monti volleyed over from outside the box.

With quarter of an hour remaining Tommy Nolan curled an effort wide, and sixty seconds later Morrison produced an excellent diving save to thwart Milliken.

Auchinleck almost added a second goal in the first minute of injury time when a quickly taken throw-in by Mick McCann caught the home defence off guard, allowing Kyle Faulds to race towards goal.

His drive took a deflection off McMahon, but somehow Morrison managed to change direction in mid-air to produce a magnificent save.

It was to prove in vain however as proceedings were ended shortly afterwards with all three points heading to East Ayrshire.

Pollok are left waiting on other results this midweek that will have a major bearing on their fate before taking to the field again on Saturday to take on Renfrew in the quarter-finals of the D&D Programmes Central League Cup. Kick-off at Western Park is at 2pm.