Pollok’s missed opportunities

editorial image
Share this article

A GOALLESS draw at Newlandsfield Park on Saturday helped neither Pollok nor Arthurlie in their quest to escape the threat of relegation from the Stagecoach Super Premier League.

Substitute keeper Scott Morrison was called into action in the second minute, beating away a powerful Mark Blakey free-kick.

Brian McGinty came within inches of opening the scoring when he redirected a low Kevin Bradley drive just wide.

A Ryan Deas cross found Steven McKeown, but his header flew narrowly wide of the post.

The most controversial moment of the game arrived in the 38th minute when a wild swing of the leg by Michael O’Hara saw Arthurlie’s McKeown fall to the deck inside the penalty area, and referee Graeme Stewart pointed to the penalty spot.

After consultation with his assistant he rescinded the decision, and instead booked the Barrhead man for simulation.

The half ended with a driving run from Gavin Lachlan, who passed to McKeown. His flick was met by McGinty, but the ‘Lok striker could only drive the ball wide of the post.

The second half opened in the same manner as the first, with Morrison holding another low Blakey free-kick. Andy Ferguson was then booked before sending a 25-yard volley well off target.

David Merriman headed over from a ‘Lie free-kick, then Bradley fired wide from the edge of the box.

In the 64th minute Paul Stewart found space behind the home defence, only for Peter McMahon to make a superb last-ditch challenge and Ferguson blazed over from the resultant corner.

He was then left one-on-one with Morrison, but the ‘Lok ‘keeper stood his ground and blocked with his legs.

Pollok should have broken the deadlock with 18 minutes left to play when substitute Lee Nichol cut the ball across to fellow replacement Carlo Monti, only for the midfielder to somehow miss the unguarded net from six-yards.

In the 78th minute a period of pinball in the home box ended with a good save from Morrison to deny Stewart, and the ‘keeper reacted well two minutes later to stop a Paul McLeod header.

With three minutes of injury time played Bradley found himself with only the ‘keeper to beat, but with the goal looming he refused to pull the trigger and instead opted to try find the waiting Roddy Hunter, allowing Ross to pounce on a weak pass and save the game.

Next week sees Pollok head to Holm Park to take on Yoker Athletic in round two of the D&D Programmes Central League Cup, with kick-off scheduled for 2pm.