Pollok draw for a rematch

POLLOK remain in the 2011/12 Emirates Scottish Junior Cup, but had to come from behind twice to draw with a youthful Blairgowrie side at Davie Park on Saturday.

Pollok’s first chance came in the 11th minute when Lee Nichol’s corner found Iain Diack at the back post, but Gordon O’Brien managed to get his chest in the way of the striker’s shot.

Nichol then drilled narrowly wide from a Peter McMahon cross before Kevin Bradley crafted an opportunity for himself, only for O’Brien to gather the ball at the second attempt.

In the 20th minute Paul McQuilken steered an excellent pass down the left wing towards Diack, who cut the ball across goal towards Bradley, only for James Simpson to make a tremendous saving tackle.

Four minutes later Diack found space behind the defence and tried to lift the ball over the ‘keeper, but his effort drifted wide.

McQuilken then picked up a Nichol corner and swivelled at the edge of the box, only to curl the ball inches wide.

Another Pollok corner ended with a good O’Brien reaction stop to deny Stephen Swift from close range.

Brian McGinty was next to fire just wide before a golden opportunity for Blairgowrie in the 41st minute.

The half finished with Salisbury cutting inside Aitchison and guiding a shot narrowly beyond the post.

Half-time saw Jamie Doyle replace Barry Tulloch for Pollok, and he immediately tried his luck from distance without finding the target.

He then set up Diack for another off-target effort before Diack turned provider, playing in Bradley, but again his aim was off.

McQuilken had a strike deflected wide in the 56th minute, and five minutes later ‘Lok looked to have moved in front.

Nichol crossed to Diack, and although O’Brien got fingertips to his drive Doyle was on hand at the back post to slot home.

There was little in the way of complaint from the home side, but visiting celebrations were cut short by the raised flag of the assistant referee Kelly Kyle.

Sixty seconds later Blairgowrie took the lead when Axworthy’s free-kick found an unmarked James Hay, who bulleted a header beyond the helpless Morrison.

The lead lasted only three minutes however as Pollok levelled in the 65th minute in similar circumstances.

This time it was Nichol who delivered the free-kick and Graeme McLaren who timed his run better than everyone else to head home.

Then, O’Brien sent a hopeful free-kick into the danger area, and Aitchison’s clearing header landed perfectly at the feet of Matthew Henderson to drill home from 18 yards out.

Parity was restored in the 76th minute. Nichol cut over a low ball from the right and Kevin Bradley slammed home the equaliser across the face of O’Brien.

Diack almost edged ‘Lok ahead, only to be denied by the leg of O’Brien, and the hosts could have won the game deep into injury time when Marc Byrne lined up a free-kick inches from the penalty area, but he ballooned his strike well over and so the sides will need to do it all again this week