Mixed fortunes for weekend warriors

GHA secured their best win of the season with a 33-23 bonus point victory against Hillhead/Jordanhill in the RBS West Regional Cup.

Rangi Jericevich (2), Hefin O’Hare and Scott Carson were on the scoresheet against a side fourth in the league above.

The result leaves GHA still in contention for a place in the next round.

GHA Captain Andy Henderson said: “It was one of our best performances of the season. Particularly in defence they had some big strong runners but we fronted up well and stopped them getting too far over the gain line.

“In attack as well was pretty good and I think overall the performance was one of the best of the season.

After 5 minutes of relentless phase play from the visitors they were unable to break down the solid GHA defense and in the end settled for three points. 
GHA’s response was swift when a deft grubber from fly half Dominic Dunn was pounced on by right winger Jericevich to score in the left hand corner.
John Brogan added a penalty before a second GHA try again when Hefin O’Hare won the race from an Andy Henderson kickfor the touchdown.
Hills’ hit back when  Corey Buchan  powered through the last ditch tackle to score.
A second Brogan penalty gave GHA an eight point lead and a second Jericevich score gave GHA a well deserved 23 to 8 half time lead,
Hills’ came out strongin the second half and narrowed the gap with a penalty followed by a great try from a cross field kick.
However, GHA created some distance between the two sides with another Brogan penalty and a try from club stalwart Scott Carson.

Whitecraigs were less successful against Westend opposition, as the West Lodge side lost to Glasgow Hawks in the RBS West Regional Cup.

Last year Craigs had a famous victory over Hawks but with an injury crisis for the southsiders, another victory was less likely. 
Hawks only had a few forays into the Craigs half but made them count twice through tries which were converted, taking the score to 14-0 at half time

. The second half was different as Hawks had the majority of the possession and territory and the home side had to do the defending. The scrums became uncontested when veteran prop, Stewart McLaughlan a year short of his fiftieth birthday, had to come off.
Hawks scored a further three tries in the second half and the home side got on the score sheet with a kick and chase and the ball being touched down by Greg Haswell. The final score was 31 – 5 to the visitors.

Cartha’s cup fixture against Dalziel was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.