Look at Loks’ four-goal hero

Alain Kinney had his shooting boots on on Saturday.''Pic by Kathryn Macleod.
Alain Kinney had his shooting boots on on Saturday.''Pic by Kathryn Macleod.

Alain Kinney was the four-goal hero for Pollok as they held off the challenge of Blantyre Victoria.

In a highly entertaining D&D Programmes central league cup first round encounter at Newlandsfield Park, Carlo Monti, Gavin Lachlan and Billy Davies all made their debut in Lok colours.

Lok could not have had a worse start, falling behind after only eighty seconds when Terence Dignam hit the back of the net with a rebound from an Adam Cassidy shot.

Pollok’s reply arrived just two minutes later when Kevin Bradley’s cross was turned home by Kinney to level the scores.

Monti then showed some nice skill to set up Roddy Hunter for a shot at goal, but he sliced his effort well wide.

Vics hit the front again in the 19th minute when Dignam’s throw-in was diverted into his own net by Steven McGregor.

The lead lasted just five minutes as as Craig Gupwell claimed his third goal in as many games as he bulleted home a header from a Monti free-kick.

Bradley rattled the base of the post for ‘Lok in the 33rd minute, but three minutes later his side edged ahead.

Graeme Shanks chopped down Bradley inside the penalty area, and Kinney stepped up to plant the spot-kick beyond the reach of Kevin Macklin.

Kinney completed his hat-trick with one minute of the first half remaining when presented with a free header from a corner kick.

The visitors almost started the second half in the same way that they began the first, with Darren O’Donnell having a shot tipped onto the crossbar by J.C. Hutchison.

Pollok seemed to have put the result beyond doubt when they netted their fifth after 58 minutes. Again Monti was the provider, showing terrific skill to tee-up the prolific Kinney who finished first time to beat Macklin.

Lok should have added a sixth when Bradley’s effort was parried and fell to Monti, who shot straight at the ‘keeper while Kinney waited in front of a gaping net.

Subs Lachlan and Davies combined, with Macklin denying the latter with his legs.

Blantyre pulled a goal back in the 80th minute when a harmless looking effort by Graeme Shanks snuck past Hutchison and nestled in the corner of the net.

In the 85th minute when Alan Christie demonstrated fine control to escape from McGregor and Andy Essler before slotting home to ensure a nervy finale.

Lee Nichol almost scored at the other end after a one-two with Monti as Pollok held on to book a 5-4 win and a meeting away to either Arthurlie or Yoker Athletic in round two of the competition.

 Next for Pollok is a crucial league encounter when they visit fellow strugglers Cumnock on Saturday. Kick-off at Townhead Park is scheduled for 2pm.