Lok hold out

A spirited Pollok performance was enough to secure a hard-fought victory against reigning Stagecoach super premier league champions Irvine Meadow XI.

At Newlandsfield Park on Saturday the hosts had the better of the opening exchanges, with Paul McQuilken forcing a fifth minute save from Michael Wardrope with a header from an Iain Diack cross.

Minutes later Kevin Bradley crossed for McGinty, but his header was off target.

McQuilken shot over from 25 yards before Jordan Smith had a header cleared off the line after a Mark Crilly corner.

Pollok took the lead four minutes later when Diack tried to lift the ball over Chris Robertson.

When the defender’s outstretched arm made contact, referee Alan Newlands had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Brian McGinty slotted home.

The visitors almost levelled in the 34th minute when Hughes had free header from a corner kick, but could only steer the ball wide.

Meadow followed up with a good strike from David Hamilton, but Scott Morrison responded with an equally good save.

With three minutes left in the half Darren Brady saw his ferocious 30-yard effort rattle the underside of the bar before rebounding to safety.

The Ayrshire side opened the second half on the front foot with Richie Barr sending an early shot wide before a fine block by Brady was required to thwart Garry Fleming.

Robertson clipped the outside of the post from 30 yards out on the hour mark, and David McGeown pulled an attempt across the face of goal as the visitors continued to press.

Barr was next to try his luck as he curled the ball wide, then moments later hit the target only to see Smith make a terrific goal-line clearance.

Morrison made a point blank save to keep out a Barr header in the 70th minute, and two minutes the ‘Lok ‘keeper kicked away a Fleming effort.

The hosts found more space on the counter-attack as the Irvine outfit pushed for an equaliser, and Bradley almost capitalised with a strike from the corner of the penalty area that was saved by Wardrope.

In the final minute Gareth Turner fired straight at Morrison, and ‘Lok were rewarded for their efforts with the sound of the final whistle moments later.

Next for Pollok is a trip to Beith on Saturday, with kick-off at Bellsdale Park set for 2pm.