Lok falter

POLLOK finally came out of cold storage on Saturday after an eight-week lay-off.

But they fell 2-1 away to Largs Thistle in the Stagecoach super premier league.

A season-ending hip injury ruled Chris Cruickshank out of the side, with Steven Rennie returning, and Jojo Connolly was also recalled at the expense of Mark Crilly.

The only moment of note in the drab opening half hour was a booking for Largs' Craig Black after a foul on Kevin Bradley.

Gary Phillips and Ian Dobbins both shot wildly off target before John Robertson forced the first save of the game in the 36th minute with a low drive that was easily gathered by Scott Morrison.

Iain Diack found his way into referee James Burns' notebook after 43 minutes, and 60 seconds later Bradley sent a half volley wide of the upright. In first-half injury time Pollok threatened on the counter-attack as Calum Hardie led the charge out from a Largs corner. But in the end his tamely-struck 30-yard effort was no real test for Stevie Connick in the home goal.

The first opportunity of the second half fell to the visitors when Gerry Joyce flicked on a Scott Gair throw-in, but there was no-one on hand to touch into the net.

Then Willie McClure's deflected shot was stopped by Morrison before Bryan Dingwall was withdrawn from the action and replaced by Roddy Hunter after 63 minutes. Less than 60 seconds later the hosts made the breakthrough when Angus Gault's free kick from deep was headed into the top left-hand corner of the net by Paul Coyle.

Diack could have restored parity almost instantly with a free kick from the edge of the penalty area, but the home wall stood its ground to block the danger. Hunter sent a scissor kick over the crossbar after a Connolly corner before Thistle almost added a second.

Gordon Lappin picked out John Paul Dow behind Lok's defence, but Morrison produced a terrific block to deny him before Lappin sent the rebound over the bar. Hardie then saw a low drive from the edge of the box redirected by Hunter, but only into the grateful arms of Connick.

Bradley narrowly missed from distance with quarter of an hour remaining, while at the other end Eddie Walton headed just wide from a free kick.

With seven minutes left to play Hardie crossed from the left to Diack, only for his header to clear the bar by the closest of margins. The final effort of the game fell to Joyce in injury time, but his 35-yard drive was wide of the target as Largs wrapped up all three points.