Horror show at Dunterlie

Lok can't force the ball over the line during a goalmouth scramble. Pic by Kathryn Macleod
Lok can't force the ball over the line during a goalmouth scramble. Pic by Kathryn Macleod

Pollok’s chances of Stagecoach Super Premier League survival suffered a massive blow on Saturday as they crumbled to a 4-0 defeat against Arthurlie at Dunterlie Park.

It was the hosts who had the first attempt, with Steven McKeown’s weak shot from the edge of the penalty area easily held by Graham Black.

In the ninth minute the Barrhead side took the lead when James Marks drilled a low shot into the bottom-right corner of the net.

It took 17 minutes for Pollok to muster any threat when Carlo Monti jinked in from the left wing, but with Brian McGinty better placed he instead opted to try a strike himself, only to slice wide.

Paul McQuilken then had a drive blocked before Pollok’s closest effort of the game arrived in the 21st minute when Hunter cracked the ball off the crossbar from 25 yards out.

Marks shrugged off a challenge from Peter McMahon, but his 22-yarder was gathered by Black.

‘Lok were handed a numerical advantage after 38 minutes when Marks moved his head towards Jonathan Carter as the two squared up and was dismissed by referee Steven Reid.

Minutes later however it became 10-a-side as Darren Brady kicked out at Stewart as the pair lay on the ground and he too was returned to the pavilion early.

The half ended with a Carter drive from 20 yards out that flew over Jamie Ewings’ crossbar.

The game was effectively over within seven minutes of the restart as Arthurlie added goals number two and three.

In the 48th minute Stewart headed McKeown’s free-kick against the post, but Sandy Hodge followed up to steer home the rebound.

Four minutes later Michael O’Hara brought down McKeown inside the box. Paul Stewart duly buried the resultant penalty kick.

Pollok chose to try their luck from distance in an attempt to get back into the game, with Ewings saving from Carter and McMahon in quick succession.

A quick ‘Lie counter-attack then saw Black saving from McKeown before the fourth and final goal arrived in the 68th minute.

The hosts swept down the right-hand side of the field, from where Lundie squared to Paul Stewart for a near-post tap-in. Stewart then sent a strike wide before another stramash in the Arthurlie area.

This time Lachlan had a low shot blocked and both Bradley and Monti saw follow-up efforts stopped as the Barrhead defence protected their clean sheet.

Twice late on the ball fell to O’Hara, but he was unable to find the target on either occasion and so Pollok left without a consolation goal.

Lok’S next game is on Wednesday against Irvine Meadow XI (KO 12.45pm at Meadow Park).