Four they’re a jolly good team

IT WAS a day to remember for all QP fans who witnessed it: four goals without reply against head of the table, Elgin City, on their home turf.

That puts the Spiders as league leaders with Rangers chasing their tail.

And Queen’s Park didn’t even have all their first choices available for the away game at Borough Briggs.

Brough, Watt and Sinclair all had to bow out due to commitments such as work and domestic duties.

Five minutes in, Andy Robertson ran down the left, only for his final ball to disappoint.

But it was an indicator of what was to follow.

Elgin’s only serious attempt at QP’s goal for the entire game came in 10 minutes.

Moore pulled the trigger on a shot that smacked off the post and fired back out to safety.

And so it went, with both teams pretty much setting up camp in midfield until, that is, the half-hour mark came hoving into view.

The breakthrough came when Shankland (playing for Ian Watt) fired into the back of the net after some passing from Robertson and Longworth.

Only a very few minutes had passed before the Spiders had doubled their lead.

Again Longworth and Shankland were involved, but this time it was Tony Quinn who reaped the benefits as he put Queen’s ahead by two goals to nil.

Into the second half, and Elgin were gifted a soft free kick on the hour mark, but big Parry answered the call and made the ball safe.

QP’s third goal cam in the 73rd minute when Shankland set up Longworth who had time to convert and give the Spiders some breathing space.

The last goal of what must have seemed a very long game for the Elgin players and support, came in the 89th minute.

A quality combination of Robertson and Ronald down the left flank ended with a pass into the box where Longworth grabbed his second, and the game’s last, goal of the match.

But any chance of a repeat against SPL side St Johnstone in the Scottish League Cup on Tuesday night was not to be.

A Michael Keenan leveller following Steven McLean’s opener gave the Spiders’ fans a glimmer of hope on a chilly night at McDiarmid Park.

But they were soon dashed by McLean’s second and a straight red card for Andrew Robertson.

QP had a chance when David Anderson got the ball to Jamie Longworth and the Saints keeper was forced to push Longworth’s 20-yard effort over the bar.

The home side kept the score at 2-1 until late goals from Murray Davidson and Liam Craig pushed any hopes well beyond the disappointed Spiders.