Spiders leave it late

QP celebrate late winner. Pic by Gary Hutchison.
QP celebrate late winner. Pic by Gary Hutchison.

JAMIE Longworth’s dramatic injury time winner secured a 2-1 away victory for Queen’s Park against East Stirlingshire.

The Spiders made one change to the team who beat Montrose – Sean Burns in for suspended Ricky Little.

Fans experienced four seasons in one afternoon at Ochilview, pre-match snow flurries replaced by blinding sunshine and bitter winds at kick-off.

Queen’s started positively but failed to capitalise on corners and lively wing play from Ian Watt and David Murray.

Spiders’ Martin McBride shot was blocked on 16 minutes; before a series of fouls gave referee John McKendrick’s whistle a good work-out – irking the 346 attendees.

With Queen’s goalie Neil Parry untested, the first half’s best chance fell to Spiders’ right-back Paul McGinn on 32 minutes.

Michael Daly laid off Watt’s cross into McGinn’s path, whose shot was tipped over by Calum Antell – the first of many great saves from Shire’s on-loan Hibernian ‘keeper.

The second half burst into life on 50 minutes as Daly’s header hit the post from a corner. Seconds later, Antell parried McBride’s strike from the edge of the box.

Shire’s Andy Stirling went close on 53 minutes before Daly and Longworth missed decent chances.

Watt pounced on a loose Shire pass on 58 minutes, surging through and seeing his right foot strike blocked by Steven Jackson.

On 61 minutes Watt forced Antell into another superb save, the ‘keeper eager to impress onlooking Hibs’ coach Scott Thomson.

Shire then nicked the lead on 74 minutes; Scott Maxwell’s angled effort looping in after Parry’s initial save.

Shocked Queen’s responded well, Longworth firing low into the far corner of Antell’s net to restore parity on 79 minutes.

Gardner Speirs’ men were handed a golden opportunity on 82 minutes, winning a penalty after David Cane’s foul on Longworth.

Up stepped McBride, but Antell produced a fine stop.

Queen’s spurned further chances to win, and Stirling drew a great save from Parry at the other end.

Then, deep into added time, David Anderson found Longworth, whose left-footer flew past a despairing Antell to thrill visiting fans.

Longworth said: “There’s no better feeling than a last minute winner so I was delighted.”

Gardner Speirs said: “As so often happens when you’re pushing hard for a goal – you lose one – but the guys’ response was fantastic. Their fitness levels and desire to get three points was excellent”.

QP host Berwick tonight at Hampden.