Queen’s Park Football Club given green light to revamp Lesser Hampden

Lesser Hampden
Lesser Hampden

Queen’s Park Football Club has been granted permission to build a 1700-seater stadium at Lesser Hampden.

Glasgow City Council has given the green light to the club’s plans to turn its current training grounds into a fully functioning stadium, extending the West Stand and adding an East Stand.

The changes will increase the capacity from around 470 to 1774.

Queen’s Park has been using Hampden Park, the national stadium, as a venue for its games but, in July next year, ownership of the main ground will change to the Scottish FA.

Lesser Hampden, on Letherby Drive, has been used by the club for reserve games, non-competitive fixtures and its youth programme since 1999.

A report submitted to Glasgow City Council’s planning department also reveals plans for renovations including new changing rooms, an extended clubhouse terrace, and additional toilets.

“Ownership of the National Stadium will change to the Scottish FA with Queen’s Park retaining ownership of Lesser Hampden, currently an unlicensed ground,” the club statement continued.

“This means Queen’s Park will no longer be able to play their 1st X1 competitive matches at the National Stadium. The club therefore plan to renovate Lesser Hampden to a licensed stadium able to host competitive League and Cup matches.”

The club does not anticipate any disruption to local residents, saying the surrounding properties are used to the current club activities on evenings and weekends.

A Saturday afternoon youth game will be replaced with a 1st XI match.

There may be evening games scheduled, which the club expects to be completed by no later than 10.30pm.