Queen’s move up to second win derby win

Clyde couldn't find a way past the Queen's Park defence
Clyde couldn't find a way past the Queen's Park defence

Queen’s Park kicked off 2016 in style with a win over promotion rivals Clyde at Broadwood to move into second place in the League Two table.

Clyde started the game knowing that, with Annan’s game postponed, even a draw would see them go top of the league, and they started brightly with Scott Ferguson looking a threat down the right wing early on.

And it was a corner won by Ferguson that spawned the first real chance of the game. Scott McLaughlin swung it in from the right, and it was met well by his namesake Mark but his effort flew over Willie Muir’s goal.

Clyde were making more of the early proceedings, and soon after squandered another good chance when a throw from Scott Linton fell to the feet of Scott McLaughlin whose half-volley was blocked and cleared away with minimal fuss.

Just as Clyde looked to be taking the initiative, though, Jamie McKernon gave them something to think about with a tremendous effort from 25 yards that fizzed inches over.

Soon after, much to the frustration of the home side, Queens took the lead on 23 minutes.

It was one full-back to another as Sean Burns’s delightful ball from the left found Gavin Mitchell who hammered home at the back post.

Clyde had another chance on 37 minutes as Ferguson fired over from 12 yards, but despite James Baty limping off to be replaced by Craig McLeish, it was Queens who finished the half stronger.

Two successive free-kicks from dangerous positions on either flank had the home side on the ropes as the first half drew to its conclusion.

The second half started how it would go on, and apart from two golden opportunities as the hour mark approached, the home side were not at the races in terms of creating chances.

The first fell to Linton as he raced to meet a Jon Paul McGovern cross from the right, but the angle was too tight for the midfielder to beat Muir.

Then, after a Muir punch fell straight to the feet of David Marsh with the goal at his mercy, he attempted to chip the retreating ’keeper and it landed on the roof of the net.

From then on, Gus MacPherson’s side defended will and limited Clyde to non-eventful huffing and puffing as frustration grew in the home ranks.

Queens, though, could have had another themselves when John Gibson was deemed to have handled the ball outside his 18 yard box. The subsequent effort took a deflection and nearly fell kindly for Paul Woods at the back post, but his attempt went behind for a goal kick.

Archie Campbell would later force a save from Muir, but again it wasn’t to be.

It was a disappointing day for the home side, and a good opportunity missed, which can be blamed only on themselves according to a visibly livid Barry Ferguson.

He said: “We just weren’t good enough today. We weren’t at the races and I’m not going to make any excuses.

“We’ve not got a game for two weeks now so we’ll be in training quite a lot, and I better get a reaction.”