Queen’s knocked out on penalties

Paddy Boyle scores the winning penalty for Ayr United against Queen's Park (Pic by Ian Cairns)
Paddy Boyle scores the winning penalty for Ayr United against Queen's Park (Pic by Ian Cairns)

League One Queen’s Park cruelly exited the William Hill Scottish Cup 5-4 on penalties to Championship side Ayr United on Tuesday night.

The teams – who had drawn 0-0 in the original fourth round tie at Somerset Park on Saturday – locked horns again at Hampden Park just 75 hours later.

Queen’s got off to the ideal start by taking the lead after just four minutes.

Brady produced a magical turn to leave two Ayr players looking for a taxi to get back in the game.

He drove on and fed Burns, who produced another gem of a cross which, this time, was hooked into the net by the left leg of Woods.

But Queen’s shot themselves in the foot when conceding a nightmare equaliser.

Muir tried to throw the ball out to McGeever but Ryan could not get to it. Moore did – and just belted it into the net.

Harkins then shot inches wide just seconds later.

But the hosts stunned their Championship opponents by going 2-1 up on 32 minutes.

Fleming punched the ball out to the edge of the box, from where Wharton poked the ball into the net.

Muir then saved smartly from Ayr’s Moore and it remained 1-2 at half-time.

Ayr’s desperation to find an equaliser was rewarded with just seven minutes remaining when Cairney’s corner from the right was met by the head of Balatoni – and Muir couldn’t stop it finding the back of the net.

Into extra time and Queen’s McGuffie fired over before his team-mate Burns was dismissed for a second booking.

Muir saved Docherty’s driven shot before making a brilliant stop from Harkins’ rasper.

The penalty shootout saw Forrest and Rose net Ayr’s first two, with Ryan McGeever and Adam Cummins doing likewise for Queen’s.

Cairney fired wide for Ayr before Jamie McKernon put Queen’s 3-2 up. McGuffie and Harkins netted for Ayr, with Queen’s Bryan Wharton’s penalty well saved, before Ross Millen scored for 4-4.

After Boyle had scored for Ayr, Gregor Fotheringham’s effort was saved and Queen’s were out of the cup.