Queen’s just a point off playoffs after win

Gregor Fotheringham celebrates after scoring a backheel goal for Queen's Park in their 2-1 win over Airdrie (Pic by Ian Cairns)
Gregor Fotheringham celebrates after scoring a backheel goal for Queen's Park in their 2-1 win over Airdrie (Pic by Ian Cairns)

Newly promoted Queen’s Park continued their fine season in League One with a 2-1 home success over Airdrie last Saturday.

The strong contingent of Airdrie fans were saluting a goal when Russell got his head to a near post header from Brown’s corner, but the ball flew into the side net, much to the derisory delight of the home fans.

Queen’s were looking bright early on. Burns won a free-kick to the left of the area and from McKernon’s kick, Wharton had a header cleared off the line by Boateng.

Woods then had a shot straight at keeper Ferguson, followed by a delightful ball into the box from Millen that had Boateng struggling, but it also slipped agonisingly wide of the well-placed MacPherson and behind as 10 minutes came and went in a flash.

Queen’s did take the lead in 20 minutes, and with a goal that would have every fan raving were it to be shown on Match of the Day.

Brady and MacPherson combined to send Millen down the right, and his low cross was met at the near post by Fotheringham, who allowed the ball to run through his legs before connecting with a quick right-foot backheel that beat keeper Ferguson all ends up at his near post. Spectacular.

Gibson was booked for a foul on 35 minutes on Queen’s left byeline but he also suffered an injury which saw him having to go off and Airdrie equalising from the free-kick.

Cummins replaced Gibson before Conroy swung over the kick, and the dangerous Russell was unmarked as he rose to head past Muir. Too easy.

It was almost 1-2 right on half-time. Cummins lost the flight of a ball into the Spiders’ box and Russell was totally clear eight yards out.

But Muir was quickly off his line to deflect his powerful shot over the bar.

Airdrie had obviously woken up after their goal and they came close to adding to it less than two minutes into the second half.

Ryan got on the end of a ball into the box, turned McGeever, and hammered a right-foot shot that Muir touched over the bar.

MacPherson went down in the box in 57 minutes under Boateng’s challenge but the referee waved away appeals.

Boateng was booked, and not before time, for a foul on Malone in 77 – and from the free-kick Queen’s again took a deserved lead.

Burns took the kick, central 35 yards out, and when a defending header knocked it down, McGeever showed commendable calm to steady himself, take a touch, and belt a shot through a forest of legs and into the net.

Queen’s went so close to a third goal on 80 minutes, when a delicious cross from Burns tantalisingly missed first Woods and then Brady as it zipped through the area and past the far post.

But the Glasgow team saw out the remaining few minutes to record a win over a team sitting second top of the table, ironic given the Spiders’ surprise defeat to bottom club Stranraer the previous week.

Fifth placed Queen’s are now just one point off the promotion play-off places.

This Saturday they visit fourth placed Brechin the league, kick-off 3pm.