Play-off agony for Lok

Carlo Monti rifles home the opener.
Carlo Monti rifles home the opener.
Share this article

POLLOK’S Stagecoach Super Premier League survival now rests upon the outcome of a two-legged play-off after thy fell to a 5-3 defeat against Auchinleck Talbot.

Victory would have guaranteed ninth place and safety for ‘Lok, but John Richardson’s hands were tied thanks to a combination of injuries and work commitments.

Nevertheless, his side made a bright start, with Billy Jones seeing a header saved with only thirty seconds on the clock.

Darren Brady pulled a weak effort wide before ‘Lok opened the scoring in the ninth minute.

Carlo Monti seized possession from an Auchinleck throw-in deep in his own half, but as he drove forward the Talbot defence backed off to cover Brian McGinty in the centre, allowing Monti the freedom to slot home beyond Brian McGarrity.

The hosts almost struck back within four minutes with a throw-in that fell to Bryan Young, but he could only hit the crossbar from eight yards out.

Pollok extended their lead after 36 minutes when Kevin Bradley was felled in the box, and Monti stepped forward to plant the spot-kick past McGarrity.

Talbot pulled a goal back when Mick McCann was allowed to sweep home after a corner kick.

In the 66th minute, Craig Pettigrew sent over a low cross from the right, and Mick McCann applied the finishing touch from close range.

Five minutes later the Ayrshire side hit the front when a simple ball over the top from Spence found Craig Pettigrew behind the Pollok defence, and he coolly side-footed home.

McQuilken headed onto the roof of the net before two quick-fire saves from Morrison, firstly pushing a Spence free-kick around the post, then beating away a Pettigrew drive.

‘Lok drew level in the 79th minute when Carlo Monti connected with an O’Hara free-kick, sending an overhead kick into the corner of the net.

Three minutes later Pollok came within inches of hitting the front again when Monti lifted the ball over McGarrity, only to see it come back off the upright.

Instead, his side fell behind once more when Talbot substitute Davie Gillies drilled home a low shot in the 87th minute.

One minute into injury time salt was rubbed into the wound when a Craig Pettigrew drive took a deflection en route to the back of Morrison’s net to complete the scoring.

Pollok now face an anxious wait to find out who finishes third in the Stagecoach Super First Division, with a head-to-head showdown then determining who plays Premier Division football next season.