Lok knocked out of cup

Jon Voigt rounds JC Huntchison to net Lochee's fifth.
Jon Voigt rounds JC Huntchison to net Lochee's fifth.
Share this article

Pollok exited the Emirates Scottish junior cup after a 5-2 loss to Lochee United at Thomson Park.

With Iain Diack still suspended, Roddy Hunter returned for his first ‘Lok game of the season and was joined up front by Brian McGinty.

Hunter was involved in controversy as early as the third minute as he crumpled to the turf after rounding goalkeeper Stephen Vanderdyl.

With visiting fans baying for a penalty and a red card, referee Gavin Duncan instead booked the Pollok striker for simulation.

Vanderdyl stopped a Hunter header on the line before the hosts opened the scoring in the 28th minute.

Jon Voigt sent over a cross from the right, and Paul Blackwood slotted the ball home.

Kevin Bradley had a low shot saved before the Tayside outfit moved two ahead in the 34th minute.

Craig Robertson provided a low cross that was tucked away by Graham Hay.

Minutes later, ‘Lok pulled a goal back when McGinty chipped a cross to Roddy Hunter, who headed home from close range. Lochee added a third in the first minute of injury time when the visiting defence spurned numerous chances to clear the danger, allowing Paul Blackwood to slam home his second.

However, in the third minute of injury time Craig Gupwell rose to steer home a Bradley free-kick and reduce Pollok’s deficit to one.

‘Lok could have found themselves level within sixty seconds of the restart when McGinty cut the ball across towards Essler, but his strike was again blocked by Vanderdyl.

McGinty was then denied by a terrific covering challenge before Hunter headed over from a Stephen McKeown free-kick. Lochee restored their two-goal cushion when Blackwood was felled in the penalty area, and Graham Hay made no mistake with the spot kick.

‘Lok tried to claw their way back into proceedings, Bradley had a strike parried for a corner kick before a last throw of the dice for Pollok as Kinney replaced Steven McGregor.

The home side had the final say in the game when Grant Lawson carved his way towards goal, only for Jon Voigt applied the finishing touch to end a miserable afternoon for Pollok.

Pollok must now focus on improving their league position, beginning with a trip to Cumnock this Saturday.

Kick-off at Townhead Park is set for 2pm.