‘Lok hit barren patch

editorial image
Share this article

STEPHEN Docherty’s spell as interim manager of Pollok ended on a low note as his side fell to a 2-0 defeat against Beith at Bellsdale Park on Saturday.

The Stagecoach Super Premier League game took a while to settle into a pattern, with the best effort of the early exchanges being a Kenny McLean strike that sailed over the crossbar in the ninth minute.

The hosts made the breakthrough in the 18th minute when a Ross Dunlop cross from the right found Stephen O’Keane who smashed the ball into the roof of the net.

‘Lok were then reduced to ten men in the 25th minute.

Mark Crilly elbowed Stuart Callaghan in front of two match officials, and referee Colin Steven was quick to brandish a red card.

From the resultant free-kick Morrison reacted well to touch Callaghan’s effort around the post with Sheridan lurking.

Berwick Advertiser

e-mail Allan Hodge

It wasn’t long before Beith made their numerical superiority count, with a second goal arriving in the 28th minute. Calum Hardie’s hanging cross was met by the waiting Kenny McLean, who steered a header beyond Morrison.

McLean then tried his luck from distance with a free-kick, but Morrison responded with a good take.

It took 41 minutes for Pollok to muster a shot at goal, but Lee Nichol’s effort never troubled Kris Robertson as it trundled well wide.

With the Bellsdale slope in their favour Pollok made a better start to the second half, with Brady shooting wide from 25 yards out.

Nichol then sent a free-kick over before Callaghan clipped the top of the crossbar with a free-kick of his own at the other end.

McLean shot narrowly wide from near the penalty spot in the 70th minute and sixty seconds later was involved in a one-two with Tony Fraser that resulted in Morrison making a terrific save to deny the latter.

Martin Hughes was next to threaten, firing just wide from 30 yards out.

McLean then shot over for the home side before Pollok’s first shot on target half an hour into the second period when Nichol’s drive was blocked by the head of Gary Wilson.

McLean headed over from a Fraser cross and Jamie Doyle had an effort deflected over for a corner kick before a shot on the turn from Essler slid agonisingly wide.

Graeme McLaren blazed off target from 35 yards out before Robertson made his first save of the match in the final minute of the game, gathering a low Iain Diack strike from the edge of the penalty area.

Pollok will have a new man in charge for the trip to Blairgowrie in the third round of the Emirates Scottish Junior Cup. Kick-off at Davie Park is at 1.45pm.