City stay top of their game

editorial image

Glasgow City remain at the summit of the SWPL table on goal difference after a commanding 3-0 victory over Rangers at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie on Sunday.

Rangers made a bright start and Katey Turner and Chelsie Watson both had opportunities for the light blues, but once Abbi Grant had fired home the opener for the Scottish champions, the result was never in question.

Further goals from Clare Shine and a penalty from Leanne Ross have ensured that City lead the pack heading into the summer break.

City struggled to find their passing game in the opening exchanges but gradually began to make headway. Jo Love had an effort drift over the bar before the visitors were made to pay for not converting their earlier chances.

A swift City counter-attack was eventually finished by Grant whose right foot shot across goal from the edge of the box nestled in the far corner and beyond the despairing dive of Rangers’ goalkeeper, Rachael Mullen.

City almost grabbed a fantastic second goal after 34 minutes. Denise O’Sullivan, who was excellent throughout, won possession in midfield before Grant embarked on a mazy run, skipping past challenge after challenge and setting up Susan Fairlie who appeared certain to score but her attempt was blocked by a last ditch tackle.

Erin Cuthbert then rattled the crossbar with a rasping effort before City managed to double their advantage. A low-drilled corner by Ross was nonchalantly volleyed into the back of the net by recent recruit, Shine. It was a class finish from the Irish forward.

City had to wait ten minutes in the second period for the decisive third goal. O’Sullivan poked the ball through to Shine who was upended in the box by the Rangers goalkeeper and the referee rightly pointed to the spot. Ross duly converted the resulting spotkick with aplomb.

Then, 16-year-old Brogan Hay was introduced from the bench for her top team debut. The talented youngster, who has been with City since the age of eleven, almost grabbed a dream goal within seconds. She met a pinpoint cross from Emma Black but her looping header back across goal grazed the top of the crossbar and drifted over.

City continued to dominate and Fairlie had two efforts comfortably saved. Sub Kerry Montgomery, nearly added a fourth with seven minutes remaining but her powerful header smacked against the crossbar as City settled for a comfortable 3-0 win.