Breaking the duck

It was mixed fortunes for southside football clubs this weekend.

At Hampden on Saturday ,the Spiders were jubilant after defeating Stranraer in the league for the first time in ten years. Neither keeper was threatened until ten minutes in, when Daly passed to Burns on the edge of the box, only for Kane to make the save.

The Spiders cried for a penalty on 24 minutes when a McGinn cross looked like it struck the arm of a Stranraer defender.

From the ensuing corner, Daly had a header cleared off the line.

The first goal came after 32 minutes, when prolific striker Longworth hit a clinical strike past Mitchell. Straight from the restart, QP conceded a corner, from which Parry did well to palm away an Aitken shot. Just three minutes after the break Queen’s were 2-0 ahead Daly heading in a Burns cross.

Stranraer had the pick of the chances of the remainder of the half, but there was to be no repeat of last week’s second half collapse as QP held out till the end.

During the 2-0 win, former Hillpark pupil Alan Urquhart continued to feed his growing reputation with another impressive performance.

Meanwhile, Pollok’s league campaign began in disappointing fashion (writes Martin Donnelly) as they were defeated 1-0 by Beith at Newlandsfield Park on Saturday.

Beith included both their summer signings from ‘Lok, Gerry Joyce and Calum Hardie.

Pollok’s Lee Nichol and Brian McGinty tested Stevie O’Neill early on, and at the other end, Hardie crossed to McLean who flicked a header towards goal, but Scott Morrison saved and the half finished goalless.

Pollok had the best of the early opportunities in the second half, with McGinty hooking wide after a McMahon throw-in.

In the 61st minute McLaren’s challenge on McGrath ricocheted to Downs, but he hesitated as he tried to pick out the supporting run of McLean, allowing McLaren to snuff out the danger.

Beith were now looking the more likely to score, and in the 75th minute substitute Andy Reid set up McLean with a good chance, but his weak effort was gathered by Morrison. Iain Diack wasted a free-kick opportunity for ‘Lok before an excellent ball by Ross Dunlop but Hardie fluffed a one-on-one with Morrison.

The Ayrshire side grabbed the winning goal ten minutes from time when Kenny McLean was left unmarked and chipped Morrisson for the goal.

Pollok’s last threat came from Jamie Doyle, sending a dipping volley over from the edge of the penalty area.

Pollok now look for a first win in four games when they travel to Largs Thistle on Saturday, with kick-off at Barrfields Park for 2pm.