All not ‘well for QP

A battling performance by Brian McGinty couldn't stop Lok from falling to Clydebank.
A battling performance by Brian McGinty couldn't stop Lok from falling to Clydebank.

Queen’s Park were knocked out of the fourth round of the Scottish Cup by a decisive home win for Motherwell.

Although Queen’s claimed a narrow margin in the possession stakes they found it difficult to break through the defences of Stuart McAll’s on-form Motherwell side, currently third in the Scottish Premier League.

Omar Daley tested Queen’s keeper Neil Parry with a blistering shot in the first minute of play to set the tone for the afternoon.

The visitors replied with a Martin McBride strike which narrowly sailed over the bar, but soon found themselves on the back-foot when Daley’s shot blasted off the base of the post and into the net, putting Motherwell ahead after six minutes.

They were to double their tally 15 minutes later with a 25-yard screamer from Jamie Murphy.

Parry did well to block a one-on-one from Bob McHugh and the Spiders kept on the attack up to the half-time whistle but were lacking in the finishing stakes.

After the break, the spiders came out all guns blazing with a shot from Jamie Longworth forcing a save from Randolph and Watt then sliding a shot inches past the post as Gardner Spier’s team enjoyed a positive spell of play.

But this was not to last as subs Chris Humphrey got himself into space, crossing the ball to Murphy who fired in his second of the day in the 71st minute. The final blow to Queen’s cup dreams was dealt by Estonian forward Henrik Ojamaa who marked his debut with a goal from the edge of the penalty area in last minute.

Fourth place Queens park will need to find a way to hit the target for their Irn Bru League third division clash with Elgin City at home on Saturday.

It was a similarly dismal start to the new year for Pollok, who fell to rivals Clydebank by three goals to one.

The away team piled the pressure on early with Tom Hanlon and Iain Diak both having chances in an attacking spell by Pollok.

However, Jonathon Carter’s tug on Darian Mackinnon inside the box gave the Bankies a penalty in the 37th minute which was duly converted by Gordon Moffat.

Early into the second half Martin McComish played the ball through to MacKinnon who put a curling 18-yard shot past Lok keeper and the home team looked to be well in control.

Ross McPherson added a third on the 57th minute mark although this seemed to provoke a resurgence from a wearied Pollok team. Stephen Smith grabbed a consolation six minutes later and chances followed from Hanlon, Swift and McGinty which had the home fans looking worried.

But it was not to be their day as McGinty picked up a second yellow for simulation just before the end of normal play.

Pollok will be hoping for a better result when they face Glenaftan away in the second round of the West of Scotland Cup this coming Saturday.