An unusual building in the Italian style, the Academy, opened in 1856 and demolished 1968, was designed by Baird and Thomson and part financed by Sir John Maxwell.
The architects were John Baird II and his partner at the time, Alexander (Greek) Thomson. The original school with the clock tower was the section on the right when viewed from the main road.
The rest of the structure, by Baird alone, was added in 1874/5 after the building became the property of Eastwood Parish School Board.
Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.