East Renfrewshire Council has given the green light to an additional £3million of investment in road maintenance across the local authority area.
Earlier this year, as part of the 2019/20 budget, it was agreed to top up the existing annual roads resurfacing works programme with a further £15million over the next five years and today’s approval from Councillors allows improvement works for this year to get underway.
The roads and pavements included in this year’s additional timetable of works covers a wide range of areas such as Commercial Road in Barrhead, Newton Mearns’ Mearns Road, Glasgow Road in Eaglesham and Rouken Glen Road at Thornliebank. A full list of the roads and footways which will see improvements can be found online at www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/road-maintenance.
All of East Renfrewshire’s roads are annually assessed and reported nationally and the Council’s A Class roads, which are deemed the most important routes for residents and visitors, are currently the best rated in Scotland, while B class sit above the national average.
However, the results for unclassified, residential roads, which makes up around 80% of East Renfrewshire’s network, indicates that these should be targeted for maintenance works.
As in previous years, the Council has taken a number of factors into consideration when prioritising road maintenance. This includes the condition of the road or pavements and its usage, the number of complaints received from the public and the geographical spread.
East Renfrewshire Council Leader, Councillor Tony Buchanan said: “Improving the transport network is a vital part of encouraging economic growth and my fellow councillors and I are acutely aware of the importance which many people place on having well-maintained roads. These works will benefit residents, but will also support our work to showcase East Renfrewshire as an attractive place to live, work and visit. So I am delighted to that this additional funding has been agreed and we can get on with improving East Renfrewshire’s roads infrastructure and tackling the backlog of repairs.”
Environment Convener, Councillor Alan Lafferty said: “As is the case with Councils across Scotland, the number of roads and pavements requiring repair far outstrips the resources available to carry out the necessary works, so I am thrilled that we are able to further invest in roads across East Renfrewshire. It was important that all areas across the authority benefitted from this additional fund, so from Eaglesham to Neilston, works will be ongoing throughout this financial year. Whether you are a road user or someone who walks along pavements, we have listened to your concerns and as the works progress I look forward to seeing the improvements.”
The full list of the works:
B767 Glasgow Road, Eaglesham (Humbie Road to Eaglesham Cross)
Rouken Glen Road, Thornliebank (B769 Spiersbridge Rd to A727)
A77 Ayr Road Southbound, Newton Mearns (Mearns Cross)
B769 Stewarton Road, Newton Mearns (Rural part only)
Rural Roads Barrhead:
- Shilford Road, (Rural part only)
- Sergeantlaw Road, (Rural part only)
- Fereneze Road, (Rural part only)
- Muirhead Road, (Rural part only)
Rural Roads Eastwood
–Holehouse Road, Eaglesham (Rural section only)
– Commercial Road, Barrhead
– Glenwood Drive, Thornliebank
– Greenwood Road, Clarkston (Mearns Road to Buccleuch Avenue)
– Etive Drive, Clarkston
– Merrycrest Avenue, Giffnock (Fenwick Road to Thornlea Drive)
– Ormonde Avenue, Netherlee (Parklands Road to Ormonde Drive)
– Harelaw Avenue, Neilston
– Eglinton Drive, Eaglesham (Part Only)
– C9 Barrhead Road, Newton Mearns
(Waterside Avenue to Netherplace Road)
– Capelrig Road, Newton Mearns (Part only)
(Crookfur Road to Meadowhill)
– Mearns Road, Newton Mearns
(Broompark Drive to Falkland Avenue)
– Rowand Avenue, Giffnock
– Briarlea Drive, Giffnock
– Maryville Avenue, Giffnock (Park Rd – Maryville Gdns)
– Aurs Dr / Kelvin Dr, Barrhead (Arthurlie St – Arthurlie Ave)
– Castlehill Dr, Newton Mearns (Broomhill Avenue – Broomburn Dr)
– Holehouse Brae, Neilston
· Glenwood Drive, Thornliebank
· Nethervale Avenue, Netherlee (Clarkston Road to Monteith Dr)
· Rowand Avenue, Giffnock
· B769 Spiersbridge Road, Thornliebank (Rouken Glen Road to Spiersbridge Av.)
· Balgray Rd, Newton Mearns (Part Only)
· Craignethan Rd, Newton Mearns (Odd side)
· Harelaw Ave, Neilston (Odd side)
·Ormonde Avenue (Parklands Rd to Ormonde Dr)