Penalties for Pollok

editorial image

Pollok booked a place in round three of the New Coin Automatics West of Scotland cup on Saturday, but only after a penalty shoot-out against Rutherglen Glencairn.

The visitors to Newlandsfield Park made the brighter start, with Joe Andrew and Gary Espener both coming close.

Lok’s best opportunity came with seven minutes left in the first half, when an Iain Diack drive struck the base of both goalposts before bouncing to safety.

Kevin Bradley then sent a dipping effort over from the edge of the box before an audacious overhead kick by Hardie flew wide.

Into the second half, a beautiful ball by Pollok’s Jojo Connolly led to Diack being in good position to score, however, he scuffed his effort.

Rutherglen’s Espener thundered a strike wide from 35 yards before Colquhoun denied Roddy Hunter after a Stevie Aitchison throw-in.

Pollok sub Stephen Anderson found himself with a good chance, only for Morrison to produce an excellent save.

With the score 0-0 in injury time, a Colquhoun stop ensured the tie went to penalties.

The shoot-out opened with three misses before Dillon netted for ‘Lok and Andrew for Glens. Connolly then missed the target to leave the score at 1-1 after three penalties each.

Lorn Gibson and Bradley both converted, but Hopkins rattled the bar with Glencairn’s fifth kick. That gave Hunter the chance to win the tie for Pollok, and he dinked a chipped effort into the roof of the net to wrap up victory.

‘Lok find themselves in cup action again next week when they face Johnstone Burgh in round two of the D&D Programmes Central League Cup.

Kick-off at Keanie Park is at 2pm.

n AFTER a run of 12 games unbeaten, Queen’s Park came crashing down to earth with a 3-1 defeat by Berwick Rangers.

Last week’s hero Jamie Longworth had the Spiders’ best chance of the first half, but he shot straight at keeper Ian McCaldon.

After 37 minutes, Berwick took the lead when the Spiders conceded a controversial penalty which was converted by Damon Gray.

Then, in first half stoppage time an Andy Millen slip allowed David Greenhill to score Rangers’ second.

After half time QP sub Tony Quinn made his presence felt with a quick goal to make it 2-1.

Despite promising play from QP, mid-way through the second half Berwick extended their lead with another decisive Greenhill strike.

Annan visit Hampden this weekend.