Fire rips through former residential home on southside destroying it

Fire in Crosshill, Glasgow, May 30. Copyright Daniel Morrow.
Fire in Crosshill, Glasgow, May 30. Copyright Daniel Morrow.

A blaze ripped through a former residential home on Queen Mary Avenue in Crosshill last night (Tuesday, June 30) razing it to the ground.

The fire started around 8pm, and forced nearby residents to evacuate their homes into the street while firefighters tackled the blaze for over two hours.

A fire has destroyed the building. Copyright Daniel Morrow.

A fire has destroyed the building. Copyright Daniel Morrow.

Scottish Fire and Rescue were able to prevent the fire from spreading into adjacent properties and nearby woodland with reports suggesting no one was harmed in the incident.

The category B listed building was formerly a residential rehabilitation unit, providing treatment for people with alcohol and drug addictions. Since closing several years ago it has lain derelict, and was reagrded as a bit of an eyesore locally.

The property, recently purchased by the Muslim Welfare House in 2015, was subject to ambitious conversion and extension plans which were reportedly valued at over £1m.

Planning permission was submitted to Glasgow City Council in April 2016 to turn the former nursing home into a residential institution housing 14 apartments. In addition, the charity had plans to erect a five-storey extension.

That application was withdrawn however due to local opposition in the area. A number of residents had fears over health and safety issues, availability of parking, and the amount of people who would be accommodated at the residency.

According to the Muslim Welfare House’s website, the charity aims to care for the Muslim community by providing educational, social and welfare services.

Police Scotland has declined to comment on the incident while investigations are ongoing into the causes of the blaze.

A local resident who watched the drama unfold said: “I was sleeping with the window open last Sunday evening when I could hear banging and glass smashing. I phoned the Police at five past three in the morning. They then got in touch the following morning to say that they have apprehended the burglars.

“Unfortunately officers did not secure the building following the break-in and they left the door open - it was an open invitation for people to enter.

“Kids have been going in and out over the past two days as a result. The of course, someone set the building alight on Tuesday evening.

It looked like it may have been kids who set fire to the building, as there were some who were even filming firefighters.