Athlete dies in crash

A TEENAGER who ran for Giffnock North Amateur Athletics club has died after being hit by a car.

Ewan Murray (18), from East Kilbride, was crossing the A726 Queensway in the South Lanarkshire town on Saturday evening when he was struck by a Vauxhall Vectra.

The athlete was taken to Hairmyres hospital after the incident — which happened around 6.20pm — but passed away a few hours later.

The 33-year-old driver of the car and a female passenger were uninjured in the crash.

A report will be sent to the procurator fiscal, and officers at Motherwell police station have appealed for witnesses to contact constable David Brown on 01698 483000.

Friends, family and fellow athletes from the southside club have paid tribute to the young sportsman on an RIP Ewan Murray Facebook page.

Meanwhile, police in the southside are appealing for witnesses after two teenagers were robbed in broad daylight.

The two girls — aged 14 and 15 — were walking in Queen’s park last Thursday afternoon at around 2pm when they were approached by a group of four youths.

One member, a female thought to be of similar age, engaged the two girls in conversation and then another, an older male, produced a blade and demanded that the younger of the two hand over her mobile phone.

When she refused he pulled her to the ground, causing injury to her face, before grabbing the phone and running off with the rest of the group.

The 14-year-old was taken to the Victoria infirmary and later released after treatment for a broken cheekbone.

The female who spoke to the girls is described as around 14 years old, with ginger hair and freckles. She was wearing a blue tracksuit at the time.

The male who took the phone is said to be 17 to 19 years old, with very short, fair hair. He was also wearing a blue tracksuit.

Detective constable Phillip Kennedy, of the Pollok police office robbery unit, said: “This was a terrifying attack on two young schoolgirls who were simply minding their own business on their lunch break.

“One of the younger girls sustained a nasty injury to her face as a result of this horrible incident.

“I would like to speak to anyone who may have been within the park at the time, and anyone who may have seen persons matching the suspect descriptions in the area to get in touch on 532 5600”.