GLASGOW is marking the 50th anniversary of the last tram to travel the city’s streets – and the southside plays an important part of the trams’ story.
The Tramway theatre on Albert Drive was once Coplaw Glasgow Corporation Tramways depot and it was here, on September 4, 1962, that the city’s last tram finished its shift – marking the end of 90 years of service to Glasgow’s commuters.
It is estimated that a quarter of a million people watched the last journey as it made its way through the southside.
To mark the occasion, the Riverside Museum has refurbished its 1938 Coronation tram and put it back on display.
The first route ran from St George’s Cross in the west of the city to Eglinton Toll on the southside – covering a distance of 2.5 miles.
When the Coplaw depot closed after that last procession, it was reopened two years later to house the city’s first Museum of Transport, where it remained until 1987 when it relocated to Kelvin Hall in Glasgow’s west end.