The UK’s largest onshore windfarm expects to welcome its 750,000th visitor this weekend as hundreds attend a Family Fun Day to mark the site’s 10th birthday.
The free event at Whitelee Windfarm, on Eaglesham Moor, will run from 11am to 4pm this Sunday, June 9.
There will be lots for families to see and do and a raft of activities on offer including;
• Meet Polly the Panda and make a pledge for the planet with WWF;
• Outdoor activities with the Whitelee Countryside Rangers;
• An Electrical Vehicles station with Tesla, BMWi3, Nissan Leaf, Arnold Clark with Renault Zoe all on show;
• Clydesdale horse & carriage rides;
• An Energy Awareness Challenge with Electric Pedals;
• Fun experiments with the team from Mad Science;
• Bike hire from Cycle Station;
• Animal petting zoo and meet the birds with Owl Magic;
• Free face painting, glitter tattoos and balloon artistry;
• A range of delicious street food.
Windfarm owner and operator ScottishPower Renewables will also surprise the 750,000th visitor through its popular visitor centre door with a free adult electric bike and children’s bike.
Whitelee is the UK’s largest onshore windfarm. Its 215 turbines generate up to 539 megawatts of electricity, enough to power around 300,000 homes.
Whitelee has more than 130 kilometres of trails to explore, on foot, by cycle or by horse, with free parking and free entry to the onsite Visitor Centre and Cafe.