Sharp skewer Sharpei cure!

Hoshi with owner Sandra and the X-Ray that revealed the 8-inch BBQ skewer.
Hoshi with owner Sandra and the X-Ray that revealed the 8-inch BBQ skewer.

The Pets’n’Vets Family, has performed life-saving surgery on a six year old Sharpei called Hoshi that had wolfed down a chicken kebab together with an 8” metal skewer at a barbecue she had attended with her vegetarian owners.

Ruth Greening, veterinary surgeon at The Pets’n’Vets Family, undertook the surgical procedure to remove the skewer at the Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital at Pollokshaws.

She said: “Hoshi came in for X-rays to investigate a lump which had appeared on the side of her abdomen.

“We were astounded when X-rays revealed that the swelling on Hoshi’s abdomen was the point of a large metal skewer piercing her ribs, which she had apparently swallowed at the barbecue!”

Hoshi’s owner, Sandra Kin, commented: “Hoshi has previously eaten some things she shouldn’t have – but I never thought she’d swallow a whole piece of meat with a huge metal barbeque stick in it! We are very fortunate that she didn’t end up much worse, thanks to the surgery performed by The Pets’n’Vets Family.

“Hoshi’s a little bit crazy; but I guess that’s why we love her!”

Ross Allan, an award-winning RCVS Advanced Practitioner in Small Animal Surgery at the award-winning Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital, added: “Barbecues are very popular at this time of year and, with the warm weather set to return, we would urge owners to be aware that all pets will often eat any food left unguarded rapidly and without being aware of any hidden dangers, such as sharp skewers.”