Scottish Action for Refugees has launched its latest campaign to collect warm winter clothes.
War has ravaged Syria for seven years. People have lived through seven years of chaos, fear, upheaval and heartbreak.
Claire Macaulay, founder of SAFR, said: “Scottish Action for Refugees (SAFR) collects warm winter clothes for men, women and children, personal care items and school supplies to ship out to refugee camps each year.
“This year we will be working with one of our partner charities Hand in Hand for Syria, who will transport these and distribute them as part of their winterisation programme in Syria and to support schools there.”
The current campaign asks people to get involved and suggests seven ways to help:
1. Collect clothes – there is a specific list of types and sizes of warm clothes and personal care items needed in the camps
2. Help a schoolchild – there is also a list of school supplies being collected
3. Decorate a pencil case – these will be given as gifts to children in schools in Syria
4. Raise funds – hold a cake sale, do a sponsored event, run a tombola – all to help towards shipping costs
5. Donate money – SAFR have a wide range of activities to help refugees both here and abroad and relies on donations to fund these
6. Give us your time – volunteer at one of our events or give us your expertise throughout the year
7. Spread the word – through word of mouth, your community or workplace, through social media
Seven collection events have been organised in Glasgow and the surrounding areas.
Events held in May and June saw 400 boxes packed with clothes and supplies and £1500 raised towards shipping costs.
The three remaining events are planned for August and September and the local event is at Newlands Scout Hall, 147 Mossgeil Road, on Saturday, August 25 from 11am – 2pm.
As well as collecting the items to send to Syria there will be adult & kids’ tombola, massage, family fun and tea, coffee and home baking.
For more information, the events and a full list of items being collected, visit www.scottishactionforrefugees.org/events.