Nostalgia: View from railway embankment 1957

editorial image

The fire station is seen here on the left, with the tall pole in the centre of the picture from which the hoses were suspended to drain and dry off after use.

The row of four or five temporary prefabricated houses, known as prefacs, were built in Ashtree Road in 1946.

Another one is visible through the gap in the fire station buildings above the man walking on the pavement.

Note on the right the old style equipment in the swing park, the Burgh Halls Noticeboard and the tram stop on the pole.