This week’s image provided by Pollokshaws Heritage Group, features Barrhead Road, Haggs Road, Maxwell Street and Pollok Street Junction from 1896.
On the left is the sleeper fence at the entrance to the Glasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Railway Company’s goods and mineral station.
At the corner of Haggs Road and Maxwell Street the original Old Swan Pub is seen. Perhaps there until the name changed in the 1990s.
Nearly all these buildings were cleared away for the three storey ‘old’ tenements standing on the block today.
The man pausing at Haggs Road has a wooden wheelbarrow of a design common until after the 1950s. He may be heading for the builder’s yard on the right where the Wellgreen was laid out.
On the wall of the tenement in what became Greenview Street, at one story level and just visible alongside the small stovepipie chimney projecting above the roof ridge of the shed, the Pollok Street name, probably painted on the stone, is just visible.
Also seen low down on the right is a sign advertising Sunlight Soap.