Warning to pet owners after poisoning reports

editorial image

A leading vet has urged pet owners to be vigilant following reports of antifreeze poisonings in Glasgow.

The warning comes in the wake of a recent alert from a dog owner in Glasgow who reported that large amounts of antifreeze have been poured around the Partick and Mansefield areas of the city.

Ross Allan, Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital partner, said: “Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) is one of the more common causes of poisoning in dogs and cats, which can be attracted by its sweet taste.

“The liquid is also typically colourless and odourless, making it especially hard for humans to detect, and dangerous to pets.”

He continued: “Sadly, by the time the symptoms appear – vomiting, diarrhoea and ‘drunken’ appearance, often rapidly progressing to potentially catastrophic renal failure – it can be too late to treat successfully.

Anyone with information is being urged to contact the SSPCA animal helpline on 03000 999 999.

The Roundhouse Veterinary Hospital in Glasgow’s southside is part of The Pets’n’Vets Family, the network of veterinary practices with surgeries around Glasgow and surrounding areas.