Window to the Past: Harriet Street, 1910
The low houses on the left were demolished in 1932 for Nether Auldhouse Road to be laid out. In the distance, the old buildings with the smoking chimneys were replaced in the early 1930s by the red sandstone council tenements of the present day at the corner of Westwood Road and Thornliebank Road.
The sign below the crossbar of the gas lamp standard on the left reads DO NOT SPIT ON THE PAVEMENT. Seen here and in other photos in the collection, what looks like birds against the sky are the tramway overhead electric span wire insulators. James McDougall of the tailor’s shop is on the right was the penultimate Provost of Pollokshaws, and his son was a supporter of the Pollokshaws communist political agitator John Mclean.
Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.