DCSIMG

Window to the Past: Main Street, Newton Mearns

editorial image

editorial image

The two-storey manse (with crow-stepped gables) stood next door to the church on Main Street, 290 feet from its junction withn Barrhead Road.
At the time of the manse’s demolition in 1938 the church building was still in existence.
Its first minister, Andrew Thomson, was ordained in the church (called the ‘meeting house’) on March 26 1746 — three weeks before the Battle of Culloden.

Photo courtesy of East Renfrewshire Heritage Service.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page