City are up for the cup

Denis O'Sullivan troubles the Hibs' defence.
Denis O'Sullivan troubles the Hibs' defence.

Glasgow City reached the Scottish Cup Final after a comfortable 4-0 victory over Hibernian at Ravenscraig with goals from Suzanne Lappin (2), Morgan Marlborough and Susan Fairlie.

Two goals in each half from the Cup holders kept City on course for an incredible third treble in a row and their 11th successive domestic trophy, as they showed no signs of tiredness following their extra time dramatic Champions League win midweek.

City took the lead after 10 minutes when Suzanne Lappin netted from the edge of the box. The Hibees had to look lively to not concede again soon after but good defending blocked successive goal-bound shots.

The City support and players had a loud shout for handball when a HIbs arm blocked a Fairlie on target shot, but referee Hayley Irvine was not interested and waved play on.

The Cup holders pressure for the second goal eventually paid off when full back Emma Black cut inside and fired a well hit shot, which came back off the post. Marlborough reacted quickest and fired the rebound into the back of the net.

If City dominated the first half, they controlled the second half with even greater poise. Excellent play from Nicky Docherty brought out a fine save from Hibs keeper Hannah Reid and HIbs survived again when a Marlborough shot came back off the post.

It seemed only a matter of time before the third goal and it duly arrived on 67 minutes when Lappin headed home her second of the game. City then made it 4-0 when Susan Fairlie finished well into the bottom corner in injury time.

Commenting on the game, City head coach Eddie Wolecki Black said: “When you play a semi-final you expect it to be quite tight but as the scoreline shows, we were pretty convincing. Especially pleasing was our game management.”

City will face Spartans in the final after the Edinburgh side came back from 1 goal down to defeat Aberdeen 4-1.

Dons captain Rachael Small put her side in the lead only for Lana Clelland to hit a great free kick moments before the break to get her side back on level terms at half time.

Spartans took the lead after Sarah Ewens pounced on a spill from Aberdeen keeper Rebecca Flaherty, and Claire Crosbie made it 3-1 with 9 minutes remaining when she headed home from a Spartans corner. Dons striker Rebecca Dempster hit the post as she tried to her side back in the match, but in the final moments Ewens again finished from close range to make it a comfortable 4-1 victory for Spartans in the end.