The club was formally founded in 1905. The course was set out on land leased from three local proprietors, primarily the Clements’ estate, and was opened in May 1906 by the lord provost of Glasgow, Sir John Ure Primrose. The only land actually purchased at the time was that which the clubhouse was built upon: which was completed in November 1906. Within a year of its formation, there were 420 members, some 120 ‘lady associates’ and 20 juniors. The club bought the rest of the leased land in the early 1920s.
Photo courtesy of East Renfrewshire Heritage Service.