Mearns Parish School stood on the site of the present Mearnskirk Parish Church manse.
The New Statistical Account described the school as “one of the largest and airiest of any in the west of Scotland”.
In 1842, the roll consisted of 103 pupils who studied Latin, geography, arithmetic, English grammar, reading and writing.
The teacher’s annual wage was £34 and 4s, though this was supplemented by annual school fees which amounted to £63.
This picture was taken around the turn of the last century and shows local sweetie shop owner Mrs Reid cleaning in the doorway.
Photo courtesy of Old Newton Mearns by Anne Loudon and David Kidd (Stenlake Publishing).