EVEN as the merits of electric-powered cars and who should build their ‘petrol’ stations are discussed, this picture reveals a gas powered bus that ran between Netherlee and Eaglesham.
The picture (taken in July 1917) shows it parked outside one of the gate houses for Williamwood House on Clarkston Road.
Using gas to power vehicles was a way to combat the petrol shortage during World War One.
The gasbag — rubberised cloth — was filled from the mains, then piped down to the engine.
Photo courtesy of East Renfrewshire Heritage Service.