Window to the Past: St Ninian’s Parish Church

editorial image

And the changing face of the southside of Glasgow goes on with this picture of St Ninian’s parish church in Gorbals.

The church was built in 1882 to a design by James Ritchie and later became known as the Wynd United Free Church.

But, for the kids at the time, its front doors provided an excellent place to play a game of ‘shops’.

‘Goods’ were whatever could be ‘raked’ from nearby bins and cash was often pieces of glass.