Founded in 1882, John McDonald & Co. (pneumatic tools) Ltd. supplied turbines operated by the flowof rivers to various mills throughout Britain and Ireland.
During World War II the factory repaired aircraft pneumatic equipment. McDonald’s factory was here at the riverside close to the bridge at number 1 king street (which became 131 Shawbridge Street). Note the Shawbridge Street nameplate on the low building between McDonald’s and the Lodge.
Maps old and new show the road here where before the first bridge was built there had been a ford over the River Cart.
The first bridge was built in 1654. The present bridge will be seen under construction in 1934 in a later photograph.
The low stone wall on the left overlooking the river that can still be seen today is probably the continuation of the original parapet.
Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.