During the early 1900s political agitator John Maclean lived with his mother in one of the houses in the low cartcraigs block on the right. This print is taken from a biography of her father by his daughter Nan Milton.
The postcard photograph was taken 18 years after the road tolls were abolished in 1883 and before the tramlines had been extended from Pollokshaws Road into Harriet Street.
Blacksmith Bryce Howatt lived in High Cartcraigs in Cowglen (Barrhead) Road, the building on the left behind the round toll. His forge was a low building next door at the corner of Kennishead Road, the chimneys of which can just be seen rising above the edge of the Toll House.
On the right part of Cunningham’s forge is seen with a cart at the entrance parked to the left of the gate with its shafts vertical.
Image courtesy of Pollokshaws Heritage Group, holding weekly meetings on Mondays at 1pm in the parish hall — all welcome along.