THIS picture shows staff at the engraving department at the old Printworks in Busby.
The picture was taken in 1884 (incidently, also the year the cornerstone was laid for the Statue of Liberty in America). John McVicar, a local historian, has identified the man in the centre row — fifth from the left — as William Ferguson. the foreman of the department, and the girl in the second row as Elizabeth Graham. The Printworks were situated at the end of what is now known as Field Street. There had been a Printworks on this site since 1796 and at the time this photo was taken, the firm was owned by Inglis and Wakefield Limited. By 1883, the Printworks employed 600 workers.